THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Don Dixon

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

I can be contacted through email: characteranim78@hotmail.com

What type of tools or media do you use?

Lately I work mostly digital, I always start from a sketch, using color erase pencils or charcoal. I then scan my images and usually paint them in Photoshop. I also use flash for animation and 3d studio max and Maya as well for 3d work. Basically if it’s a digital program I will jump right on it and use it!

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?

Pixar most definitely, to work with such a talented group of people, sharing ideas, shaping those ideas into a reality -- you cannot beat that! I guess a close second would be Blue Sky, or Dreamworks. I basically want to help a team of artist create wonderful art and stories. I have always wanted to help ignite the flame of imagination among the youth.

Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

I love any sketch or design that comes out of Glen Keane. I was about 4 years old when my father worked at Atari back in the day doing robotics. I guess at the time my father ran across Glen at Atari, and asked Glen to do some sketches for my sisters and me. I of course received a Donald Duck sketch, it had a caption the read,” Hi Don, I like your name!” The looseness of his little marker sketch taught me at an early age that drawing is suppose to be fun and loose. I try and remind myself of that everyday.
I also really love the designs of Chuck Jones, Chuck Jones is the man! I want to meet an artist that hasn’t had some connection or influence from him.
The list can really go on, I have to say lately the artists that really are top notch in my book, are the ones I work with. I have the luxury to work with them one on one and really see what they are thinking. Steve Lambe, Robin Mitchell, Jason Strong, Bruce Glidewell, Jerimiah Alcorn. All of these guys have given me new out looks and approaches, which is what a young artist like me feed off. Everyone should check those guys out.

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

Finding Nemo amazed me! The designs of the Beast, from Beauty and the Beast are just flawless. The Incredibles, Some of the designs in Cats Don’t Dance, and I love the Penguin in The Wrong Trousers!

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

I like drawing creatures. I love drawing them because its something that’s not real and never will be real, people tend to accept them more . Its like taking five different animals putting them inside a microwave and seeing what you come up with!

What inspired you to become an Artist?

My father worked on robotics out in the Bay area years ago. I was always surrounded by creativity. When your five years old and you turn a corner in your house and there is a seven foot tall robot in your living room, I don’t think you have much of a choice, You’re gonna be a Artist.

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

Drawingboard.org
Cgtalk.com
DonDixon.com






2 Comments:

Blogger SteveLambe said...

You da man, D-ho. Owwwaaahh!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Dan Segarra said...

Oh yeah!!! Don da' man!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home