THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Richard Gaines

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted? (Email, Webpage)

You can contact me at rgaines326@yahoo.com.

What type of tools or media do you use?

It depends, really. Since I have a habit of doing character sketches, U usually use blue col-erase pencils or and H-B mechanical pencil. Just recently, a friend of mine introduced me to Tombows, which the Warner Bros. animators used. As soon as I used one, all the generic 2-B's and H-B's went out the window. It was like drawing with butter comparitively.

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?

The place I would most love to work at would have to be Disney, Warner Bros. or any similar traditional animation studio of that ilk. If not animation, I would also enjoy doing storyboards or character design at Pixar, Dreamsworks, etc.

Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

There are so many character designers that blow me away! Of course you have Glen Keane, Andreas Deja, Florian Satzinger, Uli Meyer, Sergio Pablos (Tantor rocks!), Dave Coleman, Steve Silver, John Nevarez (king of storyboards), Mel Milton....just to name a few.

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

Well, I'll have to say the styles that have most influenced me have been Don Bluth (to the chagrin of many--don't know why), Walt Disney's style between the 60's through the 80's which were largely influenced by Milt Kahl and John Lounsbury, and course the animal designs in Balto. I only wish they would make cartoons like this again!

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

My favorite subject to draw is usually animals and animal-based characters. A lot of my friends say I tend to draw a lot of canine characters. Lately, though, I've finally managed to get back into life drawing. It's a breath of fresh air and you feel like you are beginning to pick
up on things you either forgot about or overlooked in hindsight.

What inspired you to become an Artist?

The prospects of being an artist has been a life-long passion for me, even though I got serious about it a bit later in the game. What was most influential for me was watching classic cartoons and going "I wanna do that!!" Oftentimes, I harkened on these imaginary crusades of trying to reverse the current trends in animation and overrunning the "market-influenced" pageantry with more fun cartoons. John K. has a similar agenda and I fully reward him for that!

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

Some great websites would have to be Animation Nation, Cartoon Brew, Concept Art and Drawingboard.






CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE CHARACTER DESIGN HOMEPAGE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home