THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Valerie Schoman

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted? (Email, Webpage)

http://vhsartcraft.blogspot.com/ <-- features my most recent doodle farts, and I may be contacted through PurpleTsuyoi@gmail.com What type of tools or media do you use?

I usually default to the oft-used three-step process of 1) roughs done in blue pencil (preferably mechanical), 2) ink renders using any combination of Hi-Tec-C 03, Micron 01, 03, 05, 08, and/or brush pen, and finally 3) scanning and coloring with Photoshop. However, perhaps my greatest downfall (or is it greatest joy?) is my insatiable interest in medium experimentation. I love pencils, pens, paints, you name it I'll try it! I think, for me, color is the key.

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?

I am currently having the very fortunate experience of interning at Nickelodeon Animaton Studios. I am still finding my place in the kooky world that is art, and my cares lay more in what I do rather than where I am. Right now I am very interested in breaking into storyboarding for television animation because I'd like to apply my knowledge of composition and character and learn more about storytelling.

Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

Goodness gracious... there are so many! I particularly admire the work of Claire Wendling, Terryl Whitlatch, Eric Canete and Jasen Strong... may I please go on?

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

If it weren't made overly clear by my response to the last question, I am always impressed with well-designed animal characters, particularly stylized ones done for animation. I also loved the unique designs done for "Les Triplets des Belleville", Disney's "Mulan" and "Lilo and Stitch", as well as characters from "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Invader Zim", just to name a few. I get a kick out of trying to understand the approach of various designers, because even those styles that are not remotely like mine hold a lesson.

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

Most favorite would probably be animals. I suppose animal drawing is simpler for me, in a way, because I can see such obvious personalities and/or symbolism in them, which are the most basic elements for great characters!

What inspired you to become an Artist?

When you get down to it there were two things that started me on this path: discovering drawing tools and the encouragement of family and friends. I honestly don't believe I chose to become an artist. In fact it is something I've tried running away from unsuccessfully in times past. What I can tell you is that from the time I was able to hold a Crayola crayon in my hand up until the present moment when I was holding a Crayola crayon just before filling out these questions, drawing is the only thing that I have ever felt an absolute consuming need to do. And, through experience, I can also say that I am not the same person without it. That's not to say that I'll ever be any good at it, but I will never stop trying.

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

A couple:
http://www.claire-wendling.net/
http://kahnehteh.blogspot.com/
http://alinanimation.blogspot.com/
http://themonkeymind.livejournal.com/
http://chuckpyleart.blogspot.com/

... Enjoy, and thanks for considering me!







CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE CHARACTER DESIGN HOMEPAGE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home