THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Sam R. Kennedy

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted? (Email, Webpage)

samrkennedy@yahoo.com; http://www.samrkennedyart.blogspot.com/

What type of tools or media do you use?

I love col-erase pencils and markers. They allow me to produce a sketch with early value and color solutions. After that I use Photoshop and Painter to finish a character sketch into an illustration.

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?

I think Bunji would be a fun place to work at, but I'm working at a great placeright now too. Red Storm Entertainment in Raleigh, NC is where I've been sketching and painting for the last few years. I get to do lots of sketching and illustrating for the Ghost Recon series.

Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

I find myself looking at Francisco Herrera, Ramos, Joe Mad, Jeff Matsuda, and Carlos Meglia. I've got a couple of their trade paper backs, and I never get board with looking through their pages. Each page is a lesson in design and silohette. These guys stylize the character with solid drawing behind it.

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen? The hottest thing I've seen lately are the vehicle designs for Tom Clancy's EndWar. (I don't think these are public domain yet, so working for Ubi has it's advantages.) In addition, I like what I see from Tak and Jeff Matsuda's work on "The Batman."

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

By far my favorite subject is the human body, mature men and women. I grew up reading comics and watching cartoons where characters could fly, fight, and move without the law of gravity applying to them. That had so much appeal that I'm always trying to capture that sensation of action through my drawings.

What inspired you to become an Artist?

It was really my college illustration professor. He's the first one who told me one could make a living doing this stuff. Before that I thought you were either born with the ability of Frank Herbert and Ollie Thompson or you were a "starving artist." Although I drew a lot as a kid, I never had a real art class until I got to my college's design department. Even the Fine Art classes I had taken several years before failed to teach me anything useful and left me with the impression that I couldn't make a career as an artist.

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/
http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=marc_taro









CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE CHARACTER DESIGN HOMEPAGE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home