THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Joe Dave Torres

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted? (Email, Webpage)

Any means of communication is fine. On a google search for "leftyjoe" most of my pages come up. myspace.com/leftyjoe or leftyart.blogspot.com

What type of tools or media do you use?

Mostly everything I draw is initially on paper with prisma col-erase
pencils. I do sketch in photoshop sometimes though.
After my sketch, I use adobe photoshop and illustrator. And even the
occasional prisma "color stick".

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?

Wow, there are sooooo many cool creative places out there for an
artist, I would love to work anywhere that I can be a part of the
collaborative creative effort that results in any wonderful piece of
art. I'd like to someday know that I've worked everywhere. I hope I
can reach my artistic potential and someday have every studio on my
belt. I can dream can't I. LOL.

Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

Gosh, there are so many great artists, and so many amazing styles,
that it's hard to develop a criteria to compare them all. I love
character design sooooooo much, that I love and respect all styles and
designers. I think the only thing that I don't respect, is straight
up gaffling designs with no attempt to redraw from the original design
that was referenced, and claim that design as your own. I've seen
some of that around. There's nothing wrong with copying to learn a
style, or just to practice, but to later claim it as your own, is of
course....... an aboration.

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

Some of my most coveted designers, like my absolute hero the
illustrious Mr.Stephen Silver and claire Wendling have the ability to
create and capture such subtle nuances of character in the particular
personality of the being that they are developing, that their talent
and skill drive me wild and send me into euphoric states. Like I said,
there are soooo many others that I love and respect, like Sean
Galloway, who's style theories are incredible. So much to look at and
admire, that I simply admire anyone who strives to sit down and do the
dang thing, and start creating and ever reach for that personal
potential.

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

I have always been a very observant human beast. I, for some reason
became very interested in the subtle differences of everyday beings. I
fell in love with archetypes and stereotypes ( positive ones) that
character design allowed me to put on paper all those things that I
noticed. things that were, in real life bellow the surface, I could
bring out and exaggerate and show the world. To surmise, that my
favorite subject to draw , is the uniqueness of an individual,
exaggerating it, and separating it from a sometimes similar group.
showing what makes the individual special from the rest of the similar
bunch, you dig?

What inspired you to become an Artist?

I just kinda never put down the crayons, and I was inspired, as I am
still today to reach a level of technique and style that compares to
those who I respect. the ever growing knowledge and skill that I have
been constantly chasing is what inspires me most.

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

No joke, but my most favorite of all related pages, is
this.....http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/ it gives me
everuthing I need to absolutely geek out and revel in. Thank you
Odin, for this wonderful blog. ( btw, i don't really pray to Odin)
LOL.






CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE CHARACTER DESIGN HOMEPAGE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home