THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Andy J. Smith

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

Email or phone is fine! Andy@SmittyCartoons.com , (585) 613-6247

What type of tools or media do you use?

Mixed media... It depends on the project, but I always start out traditionally whether it is as a sketch that I scan into the computer to mess with in Flash or Photoshop. Lately, I have been fooling with adding collage to acrylic paintings for my illustration work. I try to maintain my consistent "house" style while still experimenting with new techniques.

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?

Although I love working in an environment where I am surrounded by other artists who challenge and inspire me, I am becoming more the "freelance from home type". Part of that is because I want to go more rural. The problem with that is the out of sight, out of mind" theory. But I am where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice? Although I love working in an environment where I am surrounded by other artists who challenge and inspire me, I am becoming more the "freelance from home type". Part of that is because I want to go more rural. The problem with that is the of sight, out of mind" theory. But I am trying to promote my work more and more and even considered an agent.

Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

First I want to acknowledge that the best designers may not be the most well known, household names and there are still new talents to discover all the time. I think if you are talking about animation, that there is a lot going on in NYC that gets overshadowed by some of the bigger studios in Cali. Some of my favorite big-shot and not-so-big shot designers are (in no particular order): Bill Wray, Peter Bagge, Craig Killman, Dagan Moriarty, Kelly Denato, Thorsten Hasenkamm, Ed Benedict, Tadahiro Uesugi, Tim Biskup, Gabe Swarr, and Luca Tieri are the ones who come to mind immediately, but I know I am missing a ton that I will shoot myself for not mentioning later.

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

If I had to pick one, I would say the Ed Benedict inspired Tex Avery shorts from the early 50's, especially Symphony in Slang. Lately though, I am trying to force myself to find more inspiration from the world around
me and from fine art.

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

Anything that's rooted in emotion and that there is potential to tell a story with.

What inspired you to become an Artist?

Storytelling. Drawing, illustration, and animation...all that stuff is great but really, they are just my best MEANS for me to tell stories and make people laugh.

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

http://www.childrensillustrators.com
http://www.boobyhatched.com









CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE CHARACTER DESIGN HOMEPAGE

2 Comments:

Blogger william wray said...

thanks andy!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Dagan Moriarty said...

wow.
i am really flattered! :)
GREAT interview, man.
props and kudos!
we miss ya here in nyc!
-Dagan

www.daganm.blogspot.com

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home