THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL SEE UP AND COMING ARTISTS

Google

Javier Guzman

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted? (Email, Webpage)

J_Guzman23@hotmail.com or you can visit my garbage at www.javier-guzman.blogspot.com

What type of tools or media do you use?

I try to mix it up, but generally use blue or red Col-erase and Ebony pencils for the initial sketching. I got hooked on the look of col-erase pencils because of my animation background, and I use Ebonys because they’re so darn smoooooth. As of late I’ve been using more ink, brush pens, and Prismacolor markers. When finishing something up I fall back on Photoshop and use Flash quite a bit as well.

Where is the place you would like to work or be an Intern if you had a choice?
I think I’m gonna go the obvious route here and say who the heck wouldn’t die for a gig at Pixar? It’s the number one spot right now. But so many opportunities for design on new television shows are opening up, and so many great designers are getting some exposure right now because of it. Cartoon Network has really pushed a lot in terms of design and opportunity.


Who do you think are the top character designers out there?

Jeez, what a tough question. There are so many guys out there and I can appreciate what all of them bring to the table.

Just off the top of my head, some of the guys who I’ve seen some great stuff from are:

Tony Fucile, Craig Kellman, Shannon Tindel, Chuck Jones, Glen Keane, Andreas Deja, Bruce Timm, Shane Glines, John Nevarez, Stephen Silver. And don’t even get me started on Milt Kahl, Ward Kimball, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, and that whole golden Disney crew!

If I could remember the names of all those French and Dutch guys out there I’d name them too.

Becoming a part of this whole art blog craze has opened me up to so many talented people, and I’ve come across a lot of great stuff out there.

What are some of your favorite character designs which you have seen?

I loved a lot of designs coming up as a student. I mean, who didn’t think Tarzans design and the way they handled him was amazing. Scar in Lion King I thought was terrific. I was amazed at almost every single character design on The Incredibles and Iron Giant. Bill Watterson’s Calvin and Hobbes are magnificent. Hank Ketcham’s Dennis the Menace and Charles Schultz Peanuts flowed so flawlessly, and all Chuck Jones stuff was all so appealing.

What is your most favorite subject to draw? And why?

Really anything that just allows me to play with all kinds of shapes and proportions. So I guess I would have to go with people, especially ladies.


What inspired you to become an Artist?

Well, as a kid I always watched those old golden age Disney films. I remember being so captivated by that art. It just sparked something. As I got a little older Don Bluth’s stuff got me as well (Dragon’s Lair, Space Ace). I’m a relatively young guy and I grew up reading comic books when guys like Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Eric Larson, and Dale Keown were in their prime. I was one of the guys that got all excited during the “Image Comics” movement. I also loved Joe Madureiras X-MEN stuff. When my brother started collecting I just fell in love with that art. It was why I started reading those books.

What are some of your favorite website links that would be relevant to this Blog?

Now, because of this whole blog community thing, there are so many links that I frequent.

Smook’s links blog here has so much good stuff: http://reddotbloglinks.blogspot.com/
A collection of awesome Bruce Timm stuff: http://www.buzzscope.com/timm/search.php
Some amazing digital painting by Craig Mullins: www.goodbrush.com
keep yourself in the loop: http://www.drawn.ca/
Look up my blog too for links to a lot of local Chicago guys: www.javier-guzman.blogspot.com
Just to name a couple. Theres soooo much stuff out there.









CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO THE CHARACTER DESIGN HOMEPAGE

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan Segarra said...

These designs are killer! Good stuff dude...!

12:40 PM  
Blogger SteveLambe said...

Congrats, J-ho!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home